International powerhouse North Korea is once again threatening military action against South Korea due to next week’s scheduled military exercises with the United States.
Every year, North Korea condemns the annual exercises as a rehearsal for war against their country and then usually threatens to start one themselves.
That’ll show ’em.
This year North Korea is demanding that Seoul cancel the joint military exercises, scheduled for April 17-28, as well as halt its anti-Pyongyang broadcasts along their joint border. South Korea resumed the broadcasts Monday in response to a land mine explosion inside the demilitarized zone that left two South Korean soldiers severely injured. North Korea said charges that it was responsible for planting the landmine are “absurd.”
An unnamed spokesman for North Korea’s National Defense Commission threatened to take “the strongest military counteraction” if the exercises move forward.
“The DPRK (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea) is the invincible power equipped with both the latest offensive and defensive means unknown to the world, including nuclear deterrence,” the spokesman said.
On the anniversary of the Korean War last week, North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-Un said that if the United States waged war on his small nation they would “leave no American alive”.
“Gone forever is the era when the United States blackmailed us with nukes,” he said. “Now the United States is no longer a source of threat and fear for us and we are the very source of fear for it.”
In related news: this Saturday, North Korea turned back its clocks 30 minutes to rid itself of the legacy of Japan’s 1910-45 colonial rule of Korea. Its state news agency KCNA said Korea’s standard time had been changed during occupation by “wicked Japanese imperialists”.